Can You Remotely Ring A Ring Doorbell?
No, you can’t ring the doorbell like a visitor can by pressing the button, but you can remotely access a Ring doorbell by using the Ring app. This feature allows users to view and interact with live doorbell camera footage including two way talk and live video recording.
Here’s how I do it:
- Download the Ring App: To access your Ring doorbell remotely, you need to have the Ring application installed on your smartphone, tablet, or PC.
- Create an Account or Log In: If you’re a new user, you’ll need to create an account. If you already have one, just log in. After logging in, you can see all the Ring devices registered to your account.
- Access Live View: Select your Ring device from the list of devices in your account and access its “Live View.” This feature allows you to see real-time video from your Ring doorbell camera.
- Two-Way Communication: While viewing the live feed, you can initiate two-way communication. There’s a button in the app that allows you to “speak” through the Ring doorbell remotely.
- Triggering Sound Alerts: Some Ring doorbell models may allow the triggering of sound alerts (like a chime or siren) through the app. This feature can make a sound but is different from the standard doorbell ring.
- Integration with Virtual Assistants: If you have integrated your Ring device with virtual assistants like Alexa, you may use voice commands to interact with your Ring doorbell, including initiating communication.
To perform these actions, your Ring doorbell must be connected to the internet. Also, functionalities might slightly vary depending on the model of the Ring doorbell and the version of the app you’re using. Always refer to the specific user manual or official app guidance for detailed instructions.
Can I Ring the Doorbell with the Ring App?
No, you can interact with a Ring doorbell through the Ring app, but you can’t make the doorbell ring like a visitor would by pressing the button.
The Ring app allows users to view live footage from the doorbell camera, engage in two-way communication, and receive alerts when someone presses the doorbell or triggers the motion sensors. But making the doorbell generate a ringing sound remotely isn’t a feature provided by the Ring app.
This design is primarily for security reasons. It ensures that any doorbell rings reflect actual activity at the door.
The app’s main purpose is to monitor and respond to visitor interactions, not to initiate them artificially from a remote location.
I’ve been working in property management for over 10 years and use Ring devices on all of our properties. They’re a fantastic doorbell for apartments and homes. But there’s no way to remotely make it ring as if someone was at the door pressing the button. You also can;t trigger an alert as if the doorbell detected motion.
How Do You Hear a Ring Doorbell?
There are a few different ways to hear a Ring doorbell when someone presses the button. The best method is to connect an existing chime or a Ring Chime to the device. The chime will make noise inside the house every time the button is pressed.
You’ll also get a notification on your phone, which makes noise, when the button is pressed
Users can connect the Ring to another smart home device, like Google Home or Alexa. The connected device will then make noise when the doorbell button is pressed.
Here’s how it works:
- In-Home Chime: The best way to hear a Ring doorbell inside the house is with a chime. Either connect the Ring to an existing chime if you have a model that can do it, or buy a Ring Chime.
- Smartphone Notifications: When the Ring app on your smartphone is connected to the doorbell, the app sends a notification whenever there’s activity detected or someone presses the button. If your phone’s sound is on, you’ll hear these notifications. You can then view live footage or recorded clips of the activity through the app.
- Smart Home Integrations: If you’ve integrated your Ring doorbell with smart home systems like Amazon Alexa or Google Home, you can set up audible alerts through your smart speakers. When someone presses your Ring doorbell, Alexa can announce it. You may also interact or view the camera feed depending on your device compatibility.
These systems ensure you’re aware of your doorbell’s rings, enhancing home security and convenience.
Can You Reset A Ring Doorbell Remotely?
No, you can’t reset a Ring doorbell remotely. Resetting a Ring doorbell requires physical access to the device and direct interaction. This measure is for security and malfunction prevention, ensuring that the device isn’t reset unintentionally or maliciously without the owner’s knowledge.
To reset a Ring doorbell, you need to press and hold the reset button on the device for at least 15-20 seconds. Upon release, the light on the front will flash, indicating the device is resetting. This process returns the doorbell to its factory settings, meaning you’ll need to set it up again, reconnecting it to your Wi-Fi network and linking it to your Ring account via the Ring app.
This procedure is part of Ring’s commitment to maintaining the security of their users’ homes and preventing unauthorized users from gaining control over the devices without physical access. If you’re experiencing issues with your Ring doorbell that require a reset, you’ll need to be on-site to complete this process.
Can You Test a Ring Doorbell from your Phone?
Yes, you can test certain functionalities of your Ring Doorbell from your phone, ensuring that the device is operating correctly. This process primarily involves using the Ring app, which provides various features to check the status and functionality of your doorbell. Here’s how you can do it:
- Check Device Health: The Ring app offers a “Device Health” section where you can view the status of your doorbell’s connection, power levels, and signal strength. It’s the first step in diagnosing any issues.
- Test Live View: You can test the video and audio quality by accessing the “Live View” feature in the app. This feature allows you to see a real-time video feed from your doorbell’s camera, ensuring it’s functioning correctly.
- Test Motion Detection: Set off the motion detection feature by walking in front of the doorbell or adjusting the motion settings in the app. You should receive a notification on your phone if it’s working correctly.
- Two-Way Audio Functionality: The app allows you to speak to whoever is at your door via the doorbell to test the audio quality and ensure the two-way communication feature is operational.
- Ring Alerts: You can also test ring alerts by pressing the doorbell button, and you should receive a notification on your phone.
By conducting these tests through the Ring app on your phone, you can ensure that your Ring Doorbell is functioning correctly without needing any physical tools or testers. However, for more technical issues or detailed system diagnostics, additional support or professional assistance might be necessary.
Can you Adjust the Volume of a Ring Doorbell Remotely?
Yes, you can adjust the volume of your Ring Doorbell remotely through the Ring app, a feature that enhances user experience by allowing control over the audio output of their device. Here’s how it works:
- Accessing the Ring App: Users need to have the Ring app installed on their smartphone or tablet. Through this app, they can access various controls and settings for their Ring Doorbell, including volume adjustments.
- Navigating to Device Settings: Once the app is open, users must select the specific Ring Doorbell device they want to adjust if they have multiple devices. They need to navigate to the device settings or device profile.
- Adjusting Volume: In the device settings, there should be an option for volume control. This control allows users to adjust the volume of the doorbell’s ring (the sound that visitors hear outside) and, in some models, the volume of the internal chime or the two-way talk feature.
- Saving the Settings: After making the necessary adjustments, users must ensure they save the settings. The changes should take effect immediately, adjusting the volume for subsequent rings or notifications.
This remote adjustment feature provides convenience, especially for adjusting sound levels during different times of the day or based on the household’s needs. However, the available volume settings may vary depending on the Ring Doorbell model and the app’s version.
Is it Possible to Disable the Ring Doorbell Chime Remotely?
Yes, it’s possible to disable the Ring doorbell chime remotely. This feature is particularly useful for times when you prefer not to be disturbed by the doorbell’s sound, such as during a baby’s naptime or while working from home. The process is carried out through the Ring app, which allows you to control various aspects of your Ring devices from any location. Here’s how you can do it:
- Using the Ring App: First, ensure you have the Ring app installed on your smartphone or tablet. Open the app and navigate to your list of Ring devices.
- Selecting Your Device: Choose the specific Ring doorbell device you wish to adjust. This step is crucial if you have multiple Ring devices installed.
- Accessing the Settings: Once you’ve selected your device, find the device settings or device profile. There should be a menu option for “Doorbell Chime” or a similar setting.
- Disabling the Chime: In this section, you’ll find the option to disable the doorbell’s chime. By toggling this option off, you’ll turn off the sound that your Ring doorbell makes when someone presses the button. This setting does not affect the app’s notifications, and you will still be alerted on your phone when someone is at your door.
- Confirming and Saving: After disabling the chime, make sure to save your settings if necessary. The change will take effect immediately.
By following these steps, you can remotely disable the chime of your Ring doorbell, providing peace and quiet when needed. It’s important to note that this does not disable the doorbell itself; you will continue to receive notifications on your app when someone rings the doorbell.
If you have any questions about Ring Doorbell, email or leave a comment below.
John Mazzuca | About | More Posts |
Custom Home Builder
John Mazzuca is a custom home designer and builder at Gambrick with over 25 years experience in the construction industry. John has designed, built and/or remodeled hundreds of homes, small buildings, and commercial projects. He writes about business, real estate, home building, and household electronics. His work has been featured in Fox Business, Better Homes & Garden, House Beautiful, and more.